and i forgot to mention Bug #190579 numlock does not stay enabled Hardy...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: thibaut bethune <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 mars 2008 19:18
Subject: Please fix regressions between 7.04 and 7.10-8.04 !!!
To: ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com

I think regressions should be treated with top priority.

 i have to face two important regressions since Ubuntu 7.04 :

 1°) defects concerning image rendering
 My video card is an ATI Radeon 8500 LE (R200) which is not rare stuff.

 a) Compiz is activated since Ubuntu 7.10. Since then i have that bug
 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/150058

 b) Since Ubuntu 8.04 i have that bug also
 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/182038

 Therefore switching from Ubuntu 7.04 to Ubuntu 8.04 creates is an
 important regression in image rendering (bugs a + b)

 2°) Photo Import from Canon IXUS 30/Powershot SD200 failed since Ubuntu 7.10
 see that bug report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/f-spot/+bug/158119

 Considering my hardware components (ATI R200 and Canon camera) which
 are not rare, that makes a lot of regressions since Ubuntu 7.04 (bugs
 1a + 1b + 2)...

 ---
 Please, note that there is a workaround concerning bug 1

 bug 1° a) disapears if i switch to metacity with composite
 (gconftool-2 -s --type bool /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager true)

 bug 1° b) disapears if i add in my xorg.conf : Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
 but it creates another bug that is solved if i add also Option
 "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/182038/comments/71

 Therefore, switching to metacity with composite and adding Option
 "AccelMethod" "EXA" & Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" completly
 solves bug 1 a+b

 Maybe that should be default settings for R200 ?

 But i don't have any workaround for the camera bug, therefore i don't
 know what to with my pictures :-(
 I'd be please to wait for a fix but i'd like to be sure that someone
 is working on it

 Thanks