On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Milan Bouchet-Valat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I don't think it is reasonable to fork upstream GNOME since this will
>  lead to quite a few problems when they change their applets. Imagine for
>  example they create a Mouse gestures tab in the Shortcuts applet. Where
>  will it go in Ubuntu?

True, but....
1) As far as I know, there will be no mouse gestures coming any time soon
2) Even if it does, I don't see any clear consensus that it would go
into the Shortcuts applet anyway, since it could alternatively be put
into the mouse applet
3) And even then, this patch could just be reverted and everything
goes back to how it is in upstream

>  But maybe you can propose them to help merging applets that they'd like
>  to see merged. Bluetooth preferences could go to Removable devices for
>  example, and I'm sure there are plenty of ideas in that way.

Honestly I'm not convinced that making any other proposals is worth
the effort. Merging keyboard & keyboard shortcuts seems to me like the
most obvious and straightforward merge there is. Given that I actually
have a working patch for that and I am offering to finish the patch,
and there is *still* very limited upstream interest, I very highly
doubt that there would be any significant interest in any other
proposed merges.

>  Hope this helps - anyway IMHO your goal is right (TM)

Cheers :)