It could work if after the package is skipped apt recreates the dependency
list; this might be bad to oversee though (especially without a GUI),
however adding a printout a la "These packages were originally meant to be
installed: $PACKAGES Since package $PACKAGE was removed after the update
began, they are NOT going to be installed [Y/n]" where n would retry with
the same package included again. One could even think of a
skip-broken-packages option. Since non-installed packages remain in the
dpkg/apt system as to-be-upgraded there is no real problem (if apt would
additionally save the status then in update-manager they could be shown as
unchecked with a hint that they failed to install).