On Tue, 06 May 2008 23:56:18 +0100 Andrew Sayers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>At this point, I'm trying to walk the line between unrealistic "wouldn't
>it be great if..." type ideas and overly-strict reliance on solving the
>specific problem I have in my head, so I'd like to go back to first
>principles for a moment.  Please tell me if any of these are false:
>
>1) It's common for new Linux users to have a technical friend that deals
>with their problems.  This is a healthy relationship that we should look
>for ways to support
>2) People generally don't formalise that sort of thing until it's too late
>3) All Linux users can be behind arbitrarily complex sets of
>firewalls/NAT, including multiple layers of NAT or firewalls, not all of
>which are under either user's control
>4) We can expect experts to do some considerable work (e.g. installing
>packages and configuring routers), but non-technical users need simple
>instructions from the default installation
>5) There's some interest in making small changes to the default install
>to cater to the above issues
>6) Since the people in most need of help are more likely to stick to LTS
>releases, we can afford to add this sort of feature gradually, and see
>what public reaction is like

7) Most end users have an extremely niave view of security.  They want
"security", but understand very little about how changes to their systems
affect the security of their systems.  Changes made cannot make systems
less secure.

I'd invite you to look at the rate of ssh dictionary attacks on internet
exposed boxes and consider if any password based ssh solution is
appropriate.

Scott K