Le mardi 13 mai 2008 à 11:22 +0200, Oliver Grawert a écrit :
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 12.05.2008, 23:14 +0200 schrieb Milan Bouchet-Valat:
> > I'd like to raise the developers' awareness about bug 59695 [1]: High
> > frequency of load/unload cycles on some hard disks may shorten lifetime
> >
> please see this article:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/257426/
> it is not aything ubuntu specific but a hardware vendor setting, note as
> well that the relatime mount option is the default with hardys 2.6.24
> kernel.
If you think it's been solved with the relatime option in Hardy, then
please go there and explain it to the subscribers, and set the bug to
Invalid. Don't let people talk again and again about these issues.

But AFAIK the problem is still here, and some users are returning to
Windows because they say then their Hard Cycle Count is not rising so
quickly - whether this can be Ubuntu's fault or just a result a kind of
bug in Windows, I cannot tell.

Anyway, if it is real that on Windows heads don't park, and on
Linux they do, so no matter of the cause, we should at least provide an
easy workaround. Can you claim there is nothing in this bug but
nonsensical fear from users? I'm not taking side here, I can be sure of
anything. What I know is that we should tell them if something has to be
done, will be done, and why.

Thanks for you work