On Tue, 13 May 2008 19:32:23 -0400 (EDT) [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> No, they won't, and shouldn't.  Why pay some idiot corporation an
>> extortion fee just because they bribed the browser manufacturers to
>> include their certs by default?  There is NO added security to having a
>> paid for cert.
>
>In 8.04, CACert is included as a provider. CACert is free. The price bit
>is moot.

Yes, but a cert from a valid CA or one you've previously accepted only helps
against MITM
attacks.  It helps not a bit against the rather more common problem of social
engineering
attacks using cousin domains (e.g. paypal.com and paypa1.com).  Cert
recognition/validation
doesn't tell you anything about how good or bad the distant end is.

The rather larger problem is that the little lock is generally presumed by
users to mean much more than it does.  Emphasizing cert validity only
compounds the problem.  As an example, after today I'd be rather more
concerned if I didn't get an unknown cert warning from a Debian site than
if I did.

Scott K