We had a discussion in early May about creating a simple mechanism to
make over-the-phone tech support easier.  At the time, our (and
especially my) focus was on recovery from a situation where X wouldn't
start.  I've put some time into the project since we talked about it, so
if there's anyone out there with a little Python experience and an
interest in reducing stress levels in their tech support, I could really
do with your input right now.

I now have an initial Python implementation of a GTK interface at:

https://code.launchpad.net/~andrew-bugs-launchpad-net/+junk/remote_help_assistant

This is a single-file Python script that runs as a pair of GTK
assistants.  You run the assistant on your computer and the person
you're helping runs one on theirs, you pass some information to each
other over the phone (IP address, SSH keys etc.), and it guides you
through the process of setting up a VNC (or shell) session.

There should be a text interface once the program starts to mature, but
right now it would just be an unnecessary  development headache.  The
program is basically usable right now, but is ugly in places and
probably filled with implicit assumptions that I've made.

What I really need is for someone to do some peer review - either using
it and seeing where the bugs are, or if you have some Python experience,
looking over the code and asking pointed questions/suggesting patches.

I've also got a (somewhat out-of-date) blueprint discussing what I'd
like to see at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Recovery/Remote

The blueprint is worth a read if you'd like to check the program out,
but some of it is still aspirations for the future while some of it is
based on old assumptions that turned out to be false.

At present, the only security concern I'm aware of with this program
(besides the fundamental issue of giving control of your computer to
someone else) is that it could put people with weak passwords at higher
risk of their system being compromised - I'll reply to this post with an
explanation, so people can discuss it separately.

        - Andrew