Olá Tim e a todos.

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 10:34:34 Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 15:28 +0100, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
>
> > One more question: i just found out that there are no 64 bits
> >  packages... will there ever be? with a system with 4GiBs of RAM like
> >  mine, I can only see 3GiBs.
>
> For Intel/AMD systems, there are two options:
>   32-bit, using the I386 ISO/CD/...
>   64-bit, using the AMD64 ISO/CD/...
>
> Despite having AMD in the name, the 64-bit packages will install on
> 64-bit Intel processors, as well as the AMD Athlon family.
>
> Bear in mind that there are packages which are only available in 32-bit
> versions.  In particular, there are a number of web browser plugins
> which are only available for 32-bit Linux.  For this reason, many linux
> users are installing the 32-bit distribution on desktop systems, even
> though those systems would be quite capable of running a 64-bit linux
> distribution.
>
> I am in that category at home, because I access various sites that offer
> java/flash/adobe content, and I know that these (particularly Java) are
> not (or not fully) supported on a 64-bit platform.  I am not affected by
> the memory restraints, because the motherboard on my PC supports a
> maximum of 3 GB.
> >

> At work, I have chosen 64-bit Ubuntu for my desktop, because my new PC
> is a 4-core, 64-bit CPU with 4GB RAM.  So far, I have not found anything
> that justifies switching back to 32-bit, although I do have to remember
> the restriction for one environment - our VPN servers are managed via a
> web interface.  These systems offer 'manage from laptop' or 'manage
> server', and the latter uses a java interface that won't work because
> there is not a java plugin for browsers on 64-bit Linux. I am able to
> use the 'manage from laptop' option in that situation, as that doesn't
> use Java.
>
> Tim

I'm sorry Tim, but is your email in response to mine?
I know perfectly well the difference between both architectures, and been using
64 bits for a while. In the last year or so, i've found no reason to be
restrained to 32 bits OSs. Some time ago, there were lots of packages that were
not available at 64bits but that is no longer the case.

--
BUGabundo  :o)
(``-_-´´)       http://Ubuntu.BUGabundo.net