On lun, 2008-08-11 at 16:07 +0200, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> Il giorno dom, 10/08/2008 alle 13.55 +0100, Alexander Jones ha scritto:
> >
> > Saying that Ekiga meets the VoVi needs of Pidgin users is pretty
> > ridiculous. It's SIP for a start, nobody uses SIP, and for the few
> > that do, TELEPATHY SUPPORTS SIP TOO!
>
> It took a long time for ekiga to work properly. I think most people
> stopped using it because it had bugs. Now I can answer a phone call to
> my voip number from anywhere using ubuntu and its default applications -
> this is why I started using ekiga. If anything has to replace it, it has
> to be stable in turn, since stability is the only useful feature of
> ekiga right now :) If the new software will be crashy and buggy, people
> will just say that "voip is broken in ubuntu as it always was with
> ekiga" - this would not be good.

I think we all agree that Ekiga does a far better work for SIP than
Empathy does at the moment...

> In any case, I can't find how to add an account with my SIP provider, I
> can just add three or four "trademarks" like sipphone but not an
> arbitrary provider, which I can do in ekiga. Also, is yahoo instant
> messaging supported? Can libpurple be used? Can I directly import my
> pidgin accounts? The latter is very important for upgrades.

You can just add a SIP account and set your provider. We have some
preconfigured providers but it is not required to use them.

Yes empathy can use libpurple if you install telepathy-haze, it provides
support for all piding's protocols.

Xavier Claessens.