Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 02:09:19PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:52:25AM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> Some of the other ideas which have been proposed are:
>
> Run fsck during shutdown (when the user isn't expecting to be able to use
> the system for a while anyway) rather than at startup.
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/prompt-for-fsck-on-shutdown
>
> Allow fsck to be easily skipped.  This was implemented in 8.04 as part of
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/usplash-polish

If fsck is to run during shutdown, then there definitely needs to be a
means to easily skip it, or perhaps defer it to run at the next startup.
 Many people (like me :P) leave it till the very last minute at work
before doing an "express shutdown" to dash out the door for the train.
Having the laptop decide that it needs to do a disk scan at that point
will not be popular...!