On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 01:22, Steve Langasek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> Reports have been coming in that the e1000e ethernet driver for Intel GigE
> chipsets, as included upstream in Linux 2.6.27, may under certain conditions
> irreparably damage your ethernet hardware by corrupting the on-board
> firmware.

I agree with the assertion that it is associated with 2.6.27

<snip>

> Further discussion of this issue can be found on the ubuntu-devel mailing
> list at
> <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2008-September/026559.html>,
> and progress on resolving this issue can be tracked at
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/263555>.
>
> --
> Steve Langasek

I see that there is some confusion because in some cases the driver
is thought to be the problem and sometimes 2.6.27.  I suspect it is
a combination or better stated - the interaction of the two.

In theory my card was permanently damaged.  However at boot
time I fell back to the previous kernel and my card works fine.

-rich