On Sat, 2008-09-27 at 18:58 +0200, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> On sab, 2008-09-27 at 08:28 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> >
> > While that's true for major changes, if there are updates that would
> > help
> > you should feel free to suggest them.
>
> Let's clarify this a bit more: ubuntu has a huge set of ocaml packages,
> that makes it appear a wonderful platform for ocaml development.
> Unfortunately in ocaml you need to build dependencies in the right
> order, because - if I recall this correctly - depending libraries store
> an hash coding of the ancestor in the dependency graph, and refuse to
> load if this does not match. Thus, we currently have in ubuntu a huge
> set of packages that just can't be used, and one tipically resorts to a
> local installation of ocaml.

This sounds like it could be easily fixed by a set of no-change binary
rebuilds, something that would almost certainly be acceptable at this
(and almost any) stage of development.

[...snip..]

> Perhaps the right thing to do is to invent a
> way to build dependencies in order on build servers?

I may be missing some of the subtleties here, but why can't this be
handled right now using versioned build-depends?