On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Lars Wirzenius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ma, 2008-11-03 kello 08:11 +0000, Matthew East kirjoitti:

>> > Hmmm. That is, unfortunately, a very good point. Not sure what would be
>> > the best way to deal with that.
>>
>> It's to remove the word.
>
> That would leave the name as "Remover", which is also not so good. :)

Heh, you took me a bit too literally there. I meant that the word
should be removed from the application completely, but of course it
would need to be replacd with another title. To be honest, I find the
word "Remover" a bit awkward, as well. "Removal" would work better, I
think.

I've searched through my list email to try to find the previous
discussion about why the name needed to be changed, and what
alternative names could be used, but I couldn't find it. I guess it
was during a meeting.

"System Cleaner" is the obvious name of course. I find it incredibly
dubious that a trademark could validly be enforced over a name which
is made up of generic and descriptive terms. As far as I know most
legal systems require trademarks to be distinctive. I suppose the
concern is over this product?
http://www.pointstone.com/products/systemcleaner/

I see that at the bottom of that website, the company seek to assert a
trademark over the name, although it's (perhaps intentionally)
ambiguous whether it is a registered trademark. I'd be surprised.

Even if there is a valid trademark there, I'm sure an alternative name
can be found with a bit of brainstorming. Just to kick things off:

System Cleanup, Cleanup Your System, System Restore (is that a
trademark too?), System Cleanser, System Janitor,
{Unwanted/Unused/Obsolete} {Program/File} {Removal/Cleanup}

Some of those are pretty bad as well, but hopefully would be an
improvement. My favourite would be "Obsolete File Removal".

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org