On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 10:15 AM, James Westby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 10:06 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
>> This is the second time I've been bitten by a problem like this... it
>> seems that people tracking intrepid frequently end up with a desktop
>> that is different to that which is finally released. No doubt this
>> policy has been considered and there is a reason for it, but it sure
>> is confusing!
>
> Perhaps we need some sort of tool installed by default that removes
> packages that are no longer needed, and may be considered cruft :-)

If there is genuinely no way of keeping the system clean without some
user intervention, then certainly there is a use for such a program.
It's a little dangerous I guess because there if such a program
exists, then it might be difficult to reserve its use strictly for
situations where it is impossible for the developers to effect the
cleanup in the upgrade process.

But this thread so far has been about the design of the application,
rather than whether its existence is justified or not.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org