Am 05.11.2008 um 14:08 schrieb Jim Legget:

> I have a LAN with 9 machines consisting of a mixture of UBUNTU
> Linux and
> Windows Vista / XP operating systems.
> I have found there is too much hand editing of configuration files
> such as
> NSSWITCH.CONF, SMB.CONF and others to make it worthwhile.

My network is similar, plus a few Macintoshes.

On the Ubuntu side, I can't remember to ever have hand-edited some
configuration file. NFS, SMB, SSH, all clients work out of the box,
after asking for a password. Could you be more specific? Which
protocol, client or server, what exactly doesn't work?

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/