Loïc Martin wrote on 11/11/08 20:50:
> I've done a mockup at
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom/PropertiesMockup and I'm
> attaching a compressed Inkscape SVG. Only the first

This looks like a good start. However, it should be on wiki.ubuntu.com
(or live.gnome.org), not help.ubuntu.com, because it's not a help page.

> I also started a thread for discussing this possible tool on
> linuxwacom-discuss (so we don't mix discussion about the tool and
> discussion of the solution adopted for Jaunty). As for request on the
> LWP side it's nice if this discussion happens in LWP's mailing list, so
> other distribution have the opportunity to see what we do and
> participate. The thread is at
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4919DE29.5090906%40gmail.com&forum_name=linuxwacom-discuss

I'm not keen on joining another mailing list just to design one window
(especially since, as shown by its Web archive, a majority of its
messages are spam). But you're welcome to forward this feedback there.

In Gnome, mouse and touchpad settings are handled in a single tabbed
window. Why should tablet settings be in a separate window? Could they
instead be another tab in the same window?

What is the "Activate Tablet" checkbox for? In what situations would you
want it to be unchecked?

"Tablet model" seems to be followed by a button. What does the button
do? If it's for changing the tablet model if it was incorrectly
detected, would an option menu work better?

"Write configuration in /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and "Write Xorg HAL
configuration file in /etc/hal/fdi/policy" are both utter gibberish. How
could they be eliminated?

It's not clear what the "Stylus" or "Calibrate" buttons do. Could they
be reworded?

I can guess what "Sensitivity" and "Smoothness" are, but I have no idea
what "Click Force" or "Sup[p]ress Points" mean. Could they be reworded
to be more understandable? (By the way, slider labels should use
sentence case, not title case.)

How would I tell whether I'd set the correct values for any of those
sliders? Should the window contain a test drawing area?

Would it make sense to change "Layout" to "Buttons"? That seems to more
precisely cover what you set in the tab.

I suggest making menus look different from buttons in the mockup,
otherwise it's hard to tell which is which.

I don't understand the distinction between "Apply", "Save", and "Close".
If changes took effect immediately, none of those buttons would be
necessary.

Cheers
- --
Matthew Paul Thomas