Am 20.11.2008 um 16:29 schrieb Martin Pitt:

> There goes the remaining bit of user/admin separation which we have,
> and we can just as well have anyone work as root in the first place.

Well, if you edit a system file as a normal user, you'd have to
provide the password, don't you? That's like "vi" vs. "sudo vi".

> What we should fix are the *reasons* why users want
> to edit files as root, instead of making crackful things easier.

Most Ubuntu installations are single user probably, so the only user
does system administration as well. Differentiating between user and
root has two reasons:

- prevent him from accidently shooting into his foot

- protect against possibly insecure software by running it with user
privileges.

I hope neither of both gets lost when gedit becomes PolicyKit-aware.

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/