I maintain OOo for Ubuntu.

The OpenOffice.org in Ubuntu is the go-oo.org version.

go-oo takes the original sun tarballs then patches it heavily with
somewhere around 500 patches. Pretty much all Linux distributions use
the go-oo.org build system and patches, except for Fedora, which just
takes a few of the patches and does the build differently. Of course we
have a few Ubuntu specific patches as well which are actually located in
the go-oo (ooo-build) repository at svn.gnome.org. We add things like
the Human icon theme and launchpad integration. And we also use a
different splash screen for the Ubuntu version which has the Sun logo on
it by Sun's request.

Chris