On Sunday 01 February 2009 7:27:28 pm Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> On 01/02/2009 Martin Olsson wrote:
> >
> > Disclaimer: Yes, Skype is proprietary and that sucks; but due to
> > strong
> > network effects FLOSS is going to have to find a way to deal with
> > this app
> > for some time. There is no point in me installing Ekiga unless it's
> > interoperable with Skype because most of the people I talk to use
> > Skype/win32 (and right now I can't get them to switch).
>
> There is no point in installing ekiga mostly because the chances it will
> not work are high. This is a sad and unfortunate truth. To fight success
> proprietary software we need software that works. Since I myself will
> not start coding for ekiga tomorrow, I can't but blame myself.

If neither of you are behind a NAT, does it work then?  I'm told the problems
I've had with it were because I don't have any port-forwarding setup on my
router...not that I expect anyone but a networking geek to have any idea how
to do that, so informing people that they need to setup port forwarding will
likely result in most users going "do what? i don't know what that is! where's
skype?" anyway...

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo