> With regards to the answer you got below ... I am surprised that en-gb
> is considered the 'default' when american-english is also impossible
> to get rid of.  American is the only language that is complete in any
> release whereas en-bg or en(uk) always lacks many thousands of
> strings!  Much as i hate to admit it - i think american should be the
> default language.

If I understand correctly, you talk about why the British English and
not American English...

Sorry, but I'm not talking about default language. I am talking about
unnecessary lang packages.

Firts, I don't understand why "language-support-translations-XX"
install a package(s) "thunderbird-locale-xx-XX" when Ubuntu don't
install thunderbird mail client by default...  Ubuntu uses evolution
as mail client, non?

Second, I don't understan why Ubuntu keep installed English support
packages when I chose other language.

This causes:
- Wasted space (~130 MB)
- Time lost to uninstall

I refer to these packages:

language-pack-en
language-pack-en-base
language-pack-gnome-en
language-pack-gnome-en-base
language-support-en
language-support-translations-en
language-support-writing-en
myspell-en-au
myspell-en-gb
myspell-en-za
openoffice.org-help-en-gb
openoffice.org-help-en-us
openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us
openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb
openoffice.org-l10n-en-za
openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-au
openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us
thunderbird-locale-en-gb
aspell-en
gimp-help-en
hunspell-en-us
wamerican
wbritish

It is curious, UK and U.S English.. Also, it has even dialects of
English:  myspell-en-au (English australian) or myspell-en-za (English
southafrican)... O_o

Why a Ubuntu user from Argentina, France or any other no-English
country will want to have these packages installed by default?