Hi,

I'm investigating the fallbacks in alsa-util.c. Now that we use
autospawn, we should loop on:

1) open playback device_id:hw: (and capture device_id:hw:),break;
2) open playback device_id:plughw: (cap plughw:),break;
3) open playback device_id:plug:dmix: (cap plug:dsnoop:),break;

(3) will catch nearly all cases of needing to use the workaround
described[1].

Thanks.

--- On Mon, 2/16/09, (``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo <ubu...@bugabundo.net> wrote:
Both PA 9.14 and 9.15~test2 are giving lots of jaunty users problems.
I've informed both Luke and upstream on this.
>From a few tests I run, sound is being sent to the devices, but doesnt reach
>the buffer.
Killing[1] PA and restarting helps most yours working around the problem, but
not all.
In my case I never get sound back after hibernate/resume, so I have to kill PA
and just use ALSA.

This looks similar the race condition we had around alpha3, and Luke said he
was going to test that scenario.
I hope this gets fixed soon, 'cause the most frequent question on #ubuntu+1 is
"Is PA working?"

[1] pulseaudio -k ; start-pulseaudio-x11