Hi Paulo,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:00:07PM +0000, Paulo Silva wrote:
> i saw from slashdot twitter that files on ext4 are being missed? i
> confess i were expecting this happening, since ext4 is still too
> recent -  maybe would be a good idea to release ext4 only on Karmic
> Koala? Defaultly, i'm not feeling too courageous, as user, on try ext4
> that soon...

You appear to be referring to a Slashdot story covering the recent reports
of empty files when powering off systems uncleanly.

As the Slashdot article acknowledges, and as discussed in
<https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2009-March/027689.html>,
this is not a bug in ext4 at all, but rather a bug in the assumptions of
certain desktop environments which expect behavior from the filesystem that
is not (and never has been) guaranteed by POSIX.

Since ext4 is not being offered as the default in jaunty, and will therefore
only be used by users who go out of their way to select a different
filesystem, I don't think these bugs in other pieces of software are a
reason to exclude ext4 from the jaunty release.  Furthermore, as Ted notes
in the bug log, the same assumptions are also a problem on xfs, which has
been an install option for years.

So this is a sound reason for users to not use ext4 for their Ubuntu 9.04
installs if system reliability is a problem for them (as it is for most of
us), but not a reason for pulling ext4 out of the release.

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org