A general "edit mode" would be great because Alacarte is a pain to use.

I'm imagining right clicking the menu I want to edit, clicking edit and then
being able to drag things around, or right click items to do further things
(hide an item, create further levels, uninstall its package, etc)... Without
the 3 second delay that alacarte throws in there each time you change
something...