Em Sex, 2009-03-20 às 13:44 +0100, Vincenzo Ciancia escreveu:
> On 19/03/2009 Jonh Wendell wrote:
> > Why can't the user go to add/remove programs to uninstall them if
> > [s]he
> > went there to install in the first place?
>
> An argument can go as follows: when you look for something that you
> don't have in the menus, you'll naturally select the voice that says
> "add/remove", as the application is not yet in the menu. It is similar
> to creating a new file in a folder. But when you already have a file in
> a folder, you will want to act on the file to delete it. In the same
> spirit, when you see an application that you don't use and clutters your
> menu, you will want to click on it and delete it.
>
> And it's shorter anyway because you don't have to search (in the remove
> dialog) for something that you already have in front of you.
>
> Vincenzo

That makes me remember windows menus, where each program creates an
entry to run the program and to uninstall it.

Anyway, what if the user wants to remove the Freecel game, but want to
keep the others? That's almost impossible, cause they belong to a single
package.

Also, the programs showed at the menu are a minimal part of what's
installed on the system. So, doing this we are fixing the "problem" in
part, not complete.

Also, doing this we are getting far from upstream, where we should work
together. If we're going to to this, I suggest we work closest upstream
to find a solution for all distros (packagekit?).

Cheers,
--
Jonh Wendell
http://www.bani.com.br