On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 2:28 AM, Alan Pope <a...@popey.com> wrote:
> That would fail for users who make one-time changes to their data. For
> example users who download their mail via pop. If they upgrade using
> aufs and then proceed to test the new features of their mail client,
> it might be configured to download new mail via pop and delete it from
> the server. In this case if they choose to not upgrade but throw the
> overlay away they lose their new mail and the ability to get it back.

This could also happen if we overlay /var/spool/mail. The type of user
is who stores mail in /var is likely to be more computer literate that
one who stores mail in ~. However I have already suggested not
overlaying /var/apt/cache, may we shouldn't overlay /var/spool/mail
either. This could get a bit piecemeal though, as we probably want to
overlay at least part of /var,  e.g. /var/lib/apt/lists/.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student