On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 08:53 -0400, Mike Jones wrote:
>     If Ubuntu said "Ok Boss" and pretended to remove one specific
> program from a package for me, through the single "add or remove
> programs to your system" interface of add/remove, that would be...
> better, but not really the best solution due to the inherent
> dishonesty.

I think this is not better, at all.  As others have mentioned if you
want items to be removed from your menus then you can do that already
with the menu editor.  Having your computer lie to you is, IMO, much
more unpleasant than having it truthfully tell you "I can't do that for
you".

>     Is there just no way for a package maintaner to not have extra
> work piled on their already hefty load while at the same time we allow
> a user of Ubuntu to remove most traces of a program in a package with
> multiple programs without having to also remove the rest of them? Is
> it worth doing even if its possible? I think I'm in a somewhat unique
> position of having extreme distaste whenever my system tells me I
> can't do something in a counter intuitive way. It telling me it can't
> make my chair float on an anti-gravity sled is fine... it telling me
> that if I don't want one program of a package, I'm not allowed to have
> any of them in the package... thats not so great.

Of course you can remove anything from your system that you want.  You
have complete and absolute control over the contents of your disk,
should you choose to exercise it.

The package manager manages packages, it doesn't manage individual
files.  However, there are plenty of tools on a Linux system that do
manage individual files, such as cp, mv, and, most interestingly for
you, rm.

So, if you have specific files that you don't want to appear on your
system, simply use a shell and "rm" them, or use the file browser to
remove them if you prefer a graphical interface (you will need to get
administrative privileges before either of these will be successful).
The package manager has no say in this.

Of course, if at the end of this you discover you have a broken
system... well, then, as the saying goes: you get to keep both
halves :-)