Il giorno dom, 22/02/2009 alle 21.47 +0000, (``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo ha
scritto:
> Olá Matthew e a todos.
>
> FYI a bug was opened after a bit of chat on #ubuntu+1
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/332945
> [Jaunty] Removal of Update Notifier is WRONG

A second call for attention is needed here. This bug is causing a lot of
disagreement. Why not be more constructive and e.g. let the community
vote on it? People basically do not like the pop-up or pop-under, and do
not like to be informed of updates with a delay. It is the enthusiasm of
these people that made the success of ubuntu until now; their consensus
is important and it's not very obvious to everyone that the new solution
will actually improve the understanding of users. Users typically close
windows that they don't want to be bored by.

In my very humble opinion the change should be rolled-back and postponed
to the "k" release; OEMs can still re-enable it via gconf. In the
meantime a broader discussion to find a better solution should be done.

Moreover, the new notification mechanism had very few testing, and
already some important bug, so it does not seem a good idea to me to
include it in a stable release given that bugs in it may affect the
security of the system.

V.