On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 04:18:42PM -0400, Evan wrote:
> I just updated to from Intrepid to Jaunty, and I noticed something curious.
> I believe this is a bug, but even if it isn't, I thought it should be
> raised.
>
> If a cpu (or core) is set to "Ondemand" and an application with a high nice
> value is running:
> - In intrepid, the cpu remained scaled down
> - In jaunty the cpu scales up to 100%
>
> I found a website [1] which does a good job of explaining it, and I tried
> setting my ignore_nice_load to 1, but nice processes still scale the
> processor up. Unless I am mistaken, this is a bug. What information should I
> attach to the bug report?

Why is it a bug?  According to Matthew Garrett, to save power, you want
to finish executing a task as soon as possible, which means running for
a shorter time at 100% speed.

http://mjg59.livejournal.com/88608.html

Marius Gedminas
--
Perl is not a programming language, it's a natural language that
computers understand.

Better than people, for the most part.
                -- Steve Simmons