And if you'd like to fix it, there is a set of hal fdi files which put
scanners into the scanner group for ACL control:

/usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/10osvendor/20-libsane.fdi
/usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/10osvendor/20-libsane-extras.fdi

Sometimes the fdi files can miss a supported scanner (like my Epson
v500) But hopefully with the additions sent upstream, the next person
with your scanner shouldn't suffer the same fate.

Be sure you know which driver supports your scanner though, it's
important to get it in the right package. (libsane, libsane-extras,
iscan-plugins etc etc)

Although no idea how this effects DeviceKit, I presume it's going to
need some kind of similar list of devices supported.

Regards, Martin Owens