On Wednesday 13 May 2009 2:39:16 pm Daniel Chen wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Vincenzo Ciancia <cian...@di.unipi.it>
wrote:
> > What is it doing there in a stable release? This program has not been
> > tested. It is not stable. People does not like it yet.
>
> Are you seriously saying that Amarok has not been tested?

Amarok works, but it *is* a feature regression over previous versions.  It
used to play CDs, for example. It does not now.  Upstream's working on it, but
they didn't consider it a priority for releasing Amarok2, thinking most people
download their music, and ripping a CD doesn't take too long anyway.

> > The new intel driver was
> > and is broken. Upgrading has been a grave mistake and users are seeing
> > an ubuntu that deadlocks.
>
> Again, for which users on what hardware? Do those users constitute the
> majority of people using Ubuntu?

Actually, Daniel, it is rather poor.  You saw what happened on my computer.
If I didn't turn on greedy, it would lock constantly.  And seeing as it worked
without greedy not a month before release, that was a very late regression.
That the intel driver is slower than on Intrepid is a common complaint, but
there are many different reasons depending on the hardware. For some people,
greedy is the fix, others need to move forward to UXA (if that even works on
their chip, which it does not necessarily do), and others have taken to
installing the old drivers or to installing very new drivers from the X Swat
PPA.

> > It seems to me that too much trust was put in the fact that it'd
> > have been fixed.
>
> How much of this complaining would be moot if you had contributed upstream?

Seeing as my sound card only works right because Daniel here taught me how to
fix it....yup, "if you want it done right, do it yourself" seems fitting.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo