2009/6/1 Nils Kassube <kass...@gmx.net>:
> Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>> 2009/6/1 Nils Kassube <kass...@gmx.net>:
>> > From "man du":
>>
>> Yeah but it uses incorrect prefix =(
>>
>>        -h, --human-readable
>>               print sizes in human readable format (e.g., 1K 234M 2G)
>>
>>        --si   like -h, but use powers of 1000 not 1024
>>
>> So the -h should use Ki Mi and Gi (am I getting this right?).
>
> Good point. I suppose the output format is according to POSIX which
> predates the binary prefix standard. Changing the prefixes to Ki/Mi/Gi
> might break existing scripts which rely on the (wrong) k/M/G prefixes.
>

> Nils

Well RMS got even here, from wikipedia POSIX:

512 vs 1024 byte blocks
POSIX mandates 512 byte block sizes for the df and du utilities,
reflecting the default size of blocks on disks. When rms and the GNU
team were implementing POSIX for what would become GNU/Linux, they
objected to these on the grounds that most people think in terms of
1024 byte (or 1k) blocks. The environmental variable POSIXLY_CORRECT
was introduced to force the standards-compliant behaviour.[6] The
POSIX_ME_HARDER has also been discussed,[7] but it's unclear whether
this was ever actually implemented.[8]

Does this mean POSIX wants everything of multiples 2^5 ??????

--
With best regards

Dmitrijs Ledkovs (for short Dima),
Ледков Дмитрий Юрьевич