2009/6/9 Derek Broughton <de...@pointerstop.ca>

> Sorry, but no.  You are pretending to have a rational discussion, while
> dismissing perfectly valid arguments.
>
> > The codecs are
> > not-in-Ubuntu the same way as Wine, because they are not installed,
>
> No, they are not.  The codecs are NOT in Ubuntu at all.  Show me where they
> exist in the repositories.  Wine is in the repos.

I don't have strong feelings about Mono, but the OP suggests:

"The solution seems obvious and easy: don’t make Mono or Mono apps
part of the default install. Leave them in the repos for the users who
want them..."

Sounds much like the current policy of Restricted drivers. So from the POV
of the OP "getting rid of mono" means removing it from the default install.
A number of people have interpreted it to mean removing it from the repos,
but doesn't appear to be what the OP wants, indeed AFAICT noone here has
/specifically/ suggested removing Mono from the repos.

To put things in perspective, mono requires 15MiB in .deb form and 44MiB
installed. Thats about 2% of the space on the CD. If, hypothetically, Ubuntu
was prevented from distributing wine, at least we wouldn't have to rebuild
'stable' CD-images.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
total=0