On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 07:59 +0200, Davyd McColl wrote:
> Good day
>
> I've used Ubuntu for quite some time (years), following upgrade cycles
> on 32-bit and staying clear of 64-bit just because a lot of people
> have reported having a hard time of it. I recently installed 64-bit
> Jaunty on my laptop (HP Pavillion dv9352 with NVIDIA 7600 go graphics)
> and it worked so swimmingly that I decided to finally do a clean
> 64-bit install on my desktop instead of just dist-upgrade'ing to
> Jaunty as I would have normally done.
>
> Things have been good for a while -- but the problems have started as
> soon as I've required 3D applications to work. It started when I
> switched from "Blank Screen" to the "BlinkBox" screensaver. I came
> back to my machine to find it locked up after a while. This process
> was repeatable. Suspecting gnome-screensaver, I uninstalled and
> installed xscreensaver instead -- no change. And other 3D screensavers
> (like Bouncing Cow) cause the same issue.
>
> When I was playin Diablo II via WINE last night, I got a lockup after
> about 20 min play. All system temps are well within normal operating
> ranges -- the hardware doesn't seem to be the problem. <ALT>-<SYSRQ>
> keys still work, so the kernel is still alive. Suspecting graphics,
> I've downgraded from the 180 driver to the 173 -- same effect. The
> older 96 (iirc) driver doesn't seem to allow compiz, but does seem to
> suck just as much -- glxgears brought the system to a standstill, with
> occassional response from the mouse cursor -- but nothing else. I must
> also note here that glxgears quite reliably reproduces the system
> lockup for the 173 and 180 drivers.
>
> My next recourse is to try the beta (185) drivers from NVIDIA. I would
> have already but the download I left going overnight apparently broke
> somehow: the installer is complaining about a checksum mismatch -- so
> I'm re-downloading.
>
> What I want to know is: is this common for 64-bit systems (to have
> dodgy proprietary (ie, NVIDIA / ATI) drivers)? I've seen a lot of
> posts online about similar issues but they range right from Warty days
> -- has this always been an issue? Should I have rather just stuck with
> 32-bit? And does anyone know of aything other than trying the beta
> drivers which I can give a bash? I'm not a hectic gamer, but I do like
> to play something now and then (doom, quake, diablo, serious sam,
> etc), and it sucks that I'm unable to use a simple GL screensaver.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.
>
> -d

Hi, Davyd.

I've been playing around with a few different motherboards at work, and
have found that some of the ones with built-in 3d accelerated graphics
behave oddly when the 3D drivers are installed.  (Some of them will
exhibit the behavior you've described, even though they're up to spec
for running a given application.)

That being said, perhaps you could post (or attach) the output of this
command?  (Omit the '$'--as you probably know, it's part of the command
prompt.)

$ glxinfo

Also, please post or attach your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and the output
of the command, 'lsmod | grep nvidia'.  I'm interested in knowing
whether the nVidia driver is actually being used, or if it's installed
but disabled for some reason.

Do you have Desktop effects (compiz-fusion) enabled?  Try turning them
off; perhaps the problem lies in compiz, not in the driver.

I take it you've gotten all the system updates via the Update Manager?
If not, it might be a good thing to do.

I may not be a devel, but at least I can help troubleshoot. :-)

--Dane Mutters