As promised, this reply will concentrate on working around problems
faced by migraters by patching migration-assistant.  I would be willing
to put programming time into the ideas suggested here.

As I stated in another post, the best Linux migration strategy involves
two stages: new apps/same OS, then new OS/same apps.  The migration
assistant automatically configures a few applications based on your old
settings, which can be extremely useful to migraters.  I propose we get
migration-assistant to install (equivalents of) the user's old applications.

Installing the user's old apps would give them a personalised
experience, and would help document the "what's the Linux equivalent of
application X?" issue.  Because the experience would be tailored to the
specific user, there's no concern about degrading everyone else's
experience for the sake of some migraters.

This would mean that migraters don't get the "standard" Ubuntu
experience out of the box.  But that strikes me as a valid choice for a
user to make.

Obviously, Pidgin would be an application that should be installed.
Other applications I've recently seen a need for include Skype, GMail
notifier, and whatever the current equivalent of xmms is.

As I mentioned in another message, this wouldn't do anything for
migraters that get Ubuntu with a new PC.  I personally doubt that many
people move to Linux with no dual booting period in between, but I would
be willing to look at providing a similar facility by adapting
migration-assistant to zip up some files under Windows, then unzip them
under Linux.

        - Andrew