2009/6/23 Matthew Paul Thomas <m...@canonical.com>:

> --

Hello,

Thank you for your reply! I'm fairly new to proposing such important
things, but I'll try to give you as less trouble as possible.

At Wikipedia there is a 'List of countries by English-speaking
population'[1]. I know Wikipedia isn't that trustworthy as a
scientific source, but it's useful for the initial discussion and a
lot of its facts are based on a research done and published by the
European Commission[2] and other research.
Please keep in mind while reading these numbers that most people are
more comfortable reading their mother-tongue, or find it more
difficult to comprehend English.

I think that Ubuntu should try to include as many complete
translations as possible on the LiveCD. If a CD isn't big enough,
maybe we should consider making a LiveDVD and keeping a smaller LiveCD
for the computers that can't read DVDs.

I couldn't find a list of currently included translations anywhere,
but I'll assume it contains at least English, Spanish, French and
German. If we want to reach as much people as possible, we should
include translations for all internationally used languages, or
languages spoken by a lot of people. I propose to add at least
Chinese, Arabic and HIndi to the LiveCD, and Spanish and French too,
if they wouldn't be included. In that case the CD included most world
languages and most people would be able to understand it.

This would also require some other changes to the way localisation
happens. Like I said before, it's vital for users to have their
system, and in this case the LiveCD, translated to a language they can
understand properly. Currently the system defaults to English if a
translated string can't be found. However, for a lot of people other
languages are easier to understand. E.g. Western-Frisian is a very
incomplete translation -- in this case because there aren't many
users, but that's not the point, it's an example -- and thus a
significant part of the system is English when you choose this
language. But Western-Frisian is a regional tongue in the Netherlands,
so most people speak Dutch as well. Therefore it would be better if
Dutch would be used as fall-back language.
This situation applies to other languages as well.

Some translations are complete, however, they aren't included on the
LiveCD. What if that language is spoken in a region where another
language is much more common in international use than English?
Wouldn't it be better to let the LiveCD use another language if e.g.
the user choose Western-Frisian on boot and Dutch was miraculously
included? That would make everything a lot more understandable.

OK, this mail is becoming quite a mess. Lets summarize what I actually
would like to see:

- Include more commonly spoken languages on the LiveCD. This can be
achieved by removing unnecessary programs or stuff taking so many
space that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages of including. I
suggested Mono, but if more applications that depend on this are going
to be included, it could get tricky.

- Change the fall-back mechanism used when the translation for a
certain string isn't available to use the language we expect the user
to understand best next. This could take shape in the form of a tree:
e.g. Wester-Frisian isn't found, so Dutch is tried. Dutch can't be
found either, so the Dutch pack redirects to the English string.

Problems: what about countries like Belgium, where Dutch and French
are both commonly spoken? Should the timezone be used to determine
this and select French as fall-back language in case Dutch can't be
found?

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English_speaking_population
[2] http://ec.europa.eu/education/languages/pdf/doc631_en.pdf