Am 17.07.2009 um 10:00 schrieb Danny Piccirillo:

> [...] I just saw a story on Slashdot about OpenBSD's successful
> release process. [...]
>
> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/07/16/2322203/Why-OpenBSDs-
> Release-Process-Works
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7pkyDUX5uM

While the SlashDot discussion merely shows people shouting without
thinking, the video is very interesting. If I understood it
correctly, OpenBSD does two things:

1) Keep every (official) development on the main trunk.

2) Swap between "add features, change API" cycles and testing cycles.

This appears to have several/surprising advantages:

- As there are no release branches, all people test the same food,
their own dogfood.

- Due to the large base of testers, regressions are exploited pretty
quickly, often within minutes.

- Accordingly, there's no need to run older releases.

- Each fix has to be distributed to one branch only, "backporting"
and/or "release engineering" is (almost) obsolete.

Now, while OpenBSD might be considered a bit exotic by many, another
successful project with a similar model comes to my mind: the non-
emulator Wine.

To be honest, I don't see the advantage of a strong emphasis on
"releases" either, as open source software is always a living thing.
Is it a matter of matching company policy checklists?

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/