From: ubuntu-devel-discuss-boun...@lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:ubuntu-devel-discuss-boun...@lists.ubuntu.com]on Behalf Of Paul
Smith
Sent: 27 August 2009 17:59
To: Vincent Arnoux
Cc: ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Why Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 18:48 +0200, Vincent Arnoux wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 18:23, Dotan Cohen<dotanco...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I guess Jonathan Taylor is joking or trolling here, one of the main
> >> advantage of using Linux distributions for desktops is that every
> >> application is automatically categorized where, on Windows, every
> >> application is NOT categorized...
> >>
> >> Start->Programs->Adobe->Photoshop v.x->Photoshop
> >>

> > How is one supposed to know to look under "Adobe" for Photoshop? Why
> > isn't it under "Graphics" or "Photo Editors" or some such menu?
>
> After the application is installed, a bubble notification guides you
> to the newly installed program by highlighting the path in the start
> menu. This part would be nice to see in our DE's.

This enhancement would be nice, but I'm sure you'll agree it's in no way
comparable to having sane menus in the first place.  It's great the
first time you install something but what about an application you use
only once in a great while?  The second time you need it the
highlighting will be long gone, and yet you can't remember where in the
heck that program went to!

Also, Windows has it's own fair share of programs whose names are not
very evocative.  If it wasn't one of the most well-known programs in the
world would you guess that "Quicken" was a program for handling your
finances?

Cheers!

It is the policy of the MPS that:

MPS personnel (or agents working on behalf of the MPS) must not use
MPS systems to author, transmit or store documents such as electronic mail
(e-mail) messages or attachments:

*  containing racist, homophobic, sexist, defamatory, offensive,
   illegal or otherwise inappropriate material;

*  containing material requiring a protective marking higher than
   RESTRICTED, (and not higher than NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED across
   the internet) without the use of approved encryption;

*  containing personal data for use other than in accordance with
   the notification(s) under the Data Protection Act, 1998 of the
   system(s) from which the data originates.

*  This Email message has been scanned for viruses and contents.