Am 11.09.2009 um 16:02 schrieb Yguaratã C. Cavalcanti:

> is there any way to guess if a environment variable was set by
> system of if
> it was defined by the configuration files?

Well, where exactly do you draw the line between "system" and
"configuration file"? Ubuntu, as installed from scratch, comes with
quite a few configuration files and /etc/profile is usually
considered as one of them.

> I imagined that i could to this by parsing some files such as /etc/
> profile
> or ~/profile, for example. However it would require a complete bash
> script
> parser, i guess.

As you can start another shell in a shell, use bash it's self to
interpret it's environment:

$ bash env

Bash does distinguish a few modes it can run in: "login shell", "ksh
emulation", etc. See the man page for more.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/