Is it just me or is testing karmic currently impossible? Here it
started with $HOME/.xsession(rc) being ignored, after some wrestling
and updates the GUI was gone completely.

Then I did a reinstall of alpha5 on a fresh partition. Right after
installation the OS worked, but automatic updates reported a lot of
trouble, removed packages as essential(?) as "hostnames" or "acpi-
support" and now the system won't even boot: the Grub menu contains
not a single kernel.

It's a pretty generic Dell with a Core 2 Duo, intended to run desktop-
amd64. Any idea on how to get back on track?

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/