Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> What package takes care of shutting down?
>
> I have this problem with Jaunty. When I first installed Jaunty, it
> booted up without problems. However, after an update was done, it would
> always show me a grub error 18 screen on the next attempt to boot the
> machine after a shutdown.
>
> Booting with the LiveCD (Kubuntu btw) that was used to install Jaunty
> and then starting konsole and running grub with root privileges and
> issuing the command: 'root (hd0,0); setup(hd0)' would make it boot into
> Jaunty after rebooting from the LiveCD environment.
>

> I remember reading something about commenting out some line that did
> something with grub that would solve this problem. Unfortunately I have
> not been able to find that url again and I wondered whether anybody
> knows where a command involving grub during shutdown might be located in
> the shutdown scripts.

I take it that you now have no problem booting after the root...setup...
from the livecd.

Grub legacy have precisely some problems not only with LBA cylinder but
also with newer bios. Instead of trying to fix your grub, I suggest you
convert your grub legacy to grub2. After all, karmic will default to grub2.
sudo apt-get install grub-pc

there will be further instructions during installation.
good luck

Regards,
Goh Lip