Hey Caroline,

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 18:58 +0100, Caroline Ford wrote:

> You don't have enough RAM. 1 GB is pretty low by today's standards.
> You may be happier with xubuntu on a lower spec machine, but as you've
> got a fast CPU then you should get more RAM as it is a clear
> bottleneck.

I don't think I agree, I do refurbished computers which are normally P4
CPUs with 512MB of RAM. According to tests an Ubuntu machine will work
reasonably well on 390MB of RAM or more, but less and it won't work very
well at all.

XUbuntu should be used on PIII machines with 128->256MB of RAM and we
normally have enough 128MB SDRAM sticks to upgrade them. But anything
less and it's scrap metal.

At first I took offence at your idea that 1GB is low "by today's
standards", but then I took a moment and thought that perhaps it's a
degree of ignorance on your part about who Ubuntu is being developed
for.

It's not being developed (as Windows 7 is) for the latest and greatest
computers being sold right this second. It's being developed for all
computers ranging from the old P4s mentioned to the sub-powered Atom and
Arm netbooks all the way up to the monster 16GB RAM Gaming rigs for
playing Savage2.

It it's not working on a computer with 1GB of RAM, then we need to fix
it. This is clearly not a case of user error.

Best Regards, Martin Owens