Am 26.10.2009 um 12:08 schrieb Dirk Hoeschen:

> Now (3 days before the release) karmic seems to be unready.
> Even if the system is stable, I found many bugs and inconsistent
> issues.

Obviously, the team is totally overwhelmed by bugs. Look for example
at bug #459067:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/
459067>

Introduced last week, this bug requires me to go to the keyboard
manager after each reboot before I can make use of the keyboard. Yet
is is considered as "Importance low", means, "likely never fixed
intentionally".

All those regressions make me start to think about _why_ I use
cutting edge Ubuntu. It's not for the perhaps improved audio stack,
it's not for the no longer working keyboard, it is to get recent
versions of high level applications like Abiword, Scribus, VNC, ...
you name it.

Considering this, it's most likely I'd better go with keeping an
older Ubuntu and getting those modern applications from independent
sources, PPAs or manually installed packages. Even if this is totally
against the idea of having release cycles first place, it looks to me
like the path to the best bug/feature ratio of my overall system.

Markus

(currently installing qemu manually as kqemu support was dropped
intentionally from the official packages)

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/