I would tend to second the motion, especially in cases where said new
packages are already a dependency of another package.

IIRC, ubuntu-desktop (and maybe a few others) are the apex packages that
represent what is installed.  Anything new that is already a dependency of
the new version of these "meta packages" should IMHO be just as auto-flagged
as they would have been had they been installed for the first time on a
clean system.