Christopher Chan wrote:

>> Professionals need to be "on-call".  In fact, for most medical treatment,
>> the doctor _is_ "on-call".  If we could make the day-to-day
>> administration of servers simple and fool-proof, the small business owner
>> might be far more happy to consider keeping an expert on-call.
>>

> Sure, which is only possible with predefined fixed configurations that
> meet the needs of a mom and pop shop and that would be all the tools
> does; setup things according to the specification.

All the RFCs are defined as finite-state engines.  There really is NO reason
that a tool capable of making all the correct configurations need to be
"predefined" and "fixed".  It's 30 years since I did FSEs in university, but
I'm pretty sure we learned that they could _all_ be automated, even then.

>> Why would we ever say that?  It's way beyond the scope of the proposal.
>>
> You are saying that a system that creates disk images for installation
> and a software auditing tool does not require an experienced
> professional. Give me a break.

My recollection is that the "disk images" came after the initial proposal,
but even so: "yeah".  What makes a _second_ disk image any more significant
than the first?  If the first is correct, then the second, with specific
mods to make it reflect a unique machine, is not that difficult.
--
derek