I have t41 too. But it's working fine with compositing. It has radeon 7100
mobile graphics card.

I don't like compiz, so I disable it not from command line doing hard thing,
but from menu system -> display and so on.

Kind regards
Dulmandakh Sukhbaatar
http://www.dulmandakh.com
http://www.twitter.com/dulmandakh