> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:44:07 +0100,  Michael Vogt wrote:
> > First and foremost I'm sorry that you had such a bad upgrade
> > experience. We work hard to make it smooth and painless and take the
> > bugs/issues very seriously.
> Thanks. Sorry if I seemed a little disappointed -- I was. This is the first
> time that I've encountered a real show-stopper during upgrade.
>

> > If you still have access to the logs, could you please report a bug or
> > mail me the content of /var/log/dist-upgrade/* ? I would really like
> > to know what happend there. Given that your sources.list got udated
> > (see below) I'm pretty sure there is useful log information available.

I'll check tonight -- the machine is at home

> > So you stopped it and killed the session (that update-manager was
> > running in) yourself? It was not the upgrade process that kicked you
> > out? I assume you answered "no, please stop the upgrade" at the
> > debconf prompt? I see that you reported bug #471436, I assume the
> > pre-isnt exit there (comment #2) is the result of clicking cancel).

Pretty-much, yeah, if memory serves.

> > Thanks, indi and wicd have no open bugs about this it seems, could you
> > please report them and include the failure?
>
> Sorry:
1) the indi issue happened at a VT, so no automagic reporting ):
2) the wicd issue was a proverbial camel's-back breaker. I was just getting
hellin with all the reports that I was filing. I'll give it a bash tonight.

> > Please also file a bug about the grub problem, with the apt terminal
> > log included. I suspect that grub somehow got removed during the
> > upgrade but the logs should give us more details.

Sorry, I don't have the terminal logs available -- it was in  VT. But I do
remember seeing it go past, and it had "appeared" to install OK. Also, dpkg
-S /boot/grub/stage1 (iirc) reported the source grub package (perhaps
grub-common? I'm not on the machine now, so this is from memory...). The
package, for all intents and purposes, appeared to be installed. I don't
mind logging a bug against this, but I'm quite sure that with the lack of
useful information, the log will just waste a dev's time ):