Does anybody here use Japanese input as a secondary language?

My computer was installed using the default English language, but I need to
converse with Japanese people on a regular basis.  So, I went into the
System->Administration->Language Support just like I did on all the versions of
Ubuntu.  But SCIM does not seem to be popped up any more.  When I press
Ctrl-Space... nothing.  Right now while in Firefox, scim says that anthy is
active... does this look like Japanese.  Not to me either.

In order to get any Japanese support, I have to go into GEdit.  Pressing
Ctrl-space does not work, but I can right click and select Input Methods->SCIM
Input Method, and presto, romanji is converted into にほんご (Japanese).  I can
then paste that into my Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, etc.  So its not a
language support issue, its an input issue.  I need to write to our Tokyo
office and need this to work.

Before filing a bug... Can someone else confirm or tell me how they got theirs
to work?

Thanks

Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer
Computer and Communications Technology, Inc
A division of Japan Communications Inc
(303) 708-9228 x326