Taking a look at http://packages.ubunut.com/lucid/graphics/vlc it indicates the version there is 1.0.4.

However when I install from Lucid Universe, I am seeing that it is version 1.0.3.

I am using the following apt spurces:

     deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid main restricted
     deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid main restricted

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security main restricted deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security main restricted

     deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid universe
     deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid universe
     deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-updates universe
     deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-updates universe
     deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security universe
     deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security universe

(Trying to install vlc-nox from Universe without restricted results in unmet dependencies, of coursse)

Also, dpkg -l | grep vlc indicates:

ii libvlc2 1.0.4-2ubuntu1 multimedia player and streamer library ii libvlccore2 1.0.4-2ubuntu1 base library for VLC and its modules rc vlc 1.0.3-1ubuntu2 multimedia player and streamer ii vlc-data 1.0.4-2ubuntu1 Common data for VLC ii vlc-nox 1.0.4-2ubuntu1 multimedia player and streamer (without X su

Additional info:

# which vlc
/usr/bin/vlc

# aptitude install vlc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
libaudio2{a} libqtcore4{a} libqtgui4{a} libsdl-image1.2{a} libtar{a} libx264-67{a}
  libxcb-keysyms1{a} vlc vlc-plugin-pulse{a}
0 packages upgraded, 9 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,625kB/7,572kB of archives. After unpacking 23.3MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]

My main question then is why vlc is being listed as 1.0.3, and not 1.0.4. I am also trying to confirm whether the version in the repo is compiled with/without dv support. It seems to be lacking it, but that puzzles me, as it's very commonly used. The versions of Kino & dvgrab in Lucid support dv *o.o.b.*

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

cheers,

forest mars
--
development