On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Charlie Kravetz
<c...@teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:
> Indeed, the first indication should be when I see that the system
> stops. Unfortunately, I can not see that. There is no indicator to tell
> me the system stopped. My system takes a minute or two to start up.
> Without the indicator, I can NOT tell if it stopped working.

I doubt that is true. If your system did not finish starting a few
minutes after it was supposed to, would that not indicate to you that
something is amiss? If you want to see boot messages, it's easy enough
to change. Run:

  sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Comment out the line beginning with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT. The
quiet and splash parameters are what tell the kernel not to show boot
messages. Now run:

  sudo update-grub

Reboot. Now you will see boot messages when the system starts.