On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:54:48 -0500
Ben Gamari <bgamari.f...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Excerpts from Patrick Goetz's message of Fri Mar 05 13:27:52 -0500
> 2010:
> > So of course it only took a little digging to discover that smbd
> > and nmbd are now services started separately, and that (bizarrely)
> > there is now a winbind daemon which is still started
> > from /etc/init.d, but nevertheless a bit unnerving. (And why and
> > since when has winbind been a separate daemon, anyway?! But I
> > digress.)
>
> With all due respect, you are using alpha software. Documentation is
> generally one of the last things to be completed. I would hope these
> init changes will be thoroughly documented before release. Moreover,
> it sounds like most of what confused you were changes in Samba's
> packaging, not upstart itself.

At the same time, it never hurts to be reminded, most of all about
missing docs.

<snip/>

> > Again, some people, possibly myself, are old, feeble-minded, and
> > distracted with lots of problems that go beyond the function of
> > basic linux server services, hence discomfited when
> > start/stop/restart commands that have worked for 10 years are
> > suddenly missing with no explanation of how to proceed in the new
> > world order.
> >
> Certainly, but if you are having difficulty with this, you probably
> ought to stick with releases.

I am sorry, but I do not agree. The difficulty one (be it Patrick, or
whoever) is having on a development release will probably be even
greater after a release. Even more, we *need* testers, and we *need* to
have feedback. Feedback after the release of a version will probably
only be acted on for the next release, while feedback during
development allows for (possible) action in time for the release.

I would rather have a lot of (even misguided) feedback than none at
all (and, by the way, I think Patrick is raising some good
points).

Cheers,

..C..